Monday, December 2, 2013

5 Cool Things I've Done & Life Update

Today I'll write about five things I've had the chance to do that I probably would never have been able to do if I didn't come to Spain:

1. Saw an actual bull fight in Spain's most famous bull fighting region. Disclaimer: they didn't kill the bulls after.
So one day while we were in our home in the village my host family woke me up and where like "do you want to go see a bullfight today?" Me, wanting to see what they're all about, decided to go. We got there at around 8 in the morning and it was freezing. From our seats in the ring we were able to also see the running part that was going on beforehand. Then after that all the bulls ran in and were put into a corral to await their turn to go out. Once out a bunch of guys would run out and the bulls would chase them leading the guys to jump over the wall and then the bull would proceed to his next "victim"
2. Learn Spanish. No I'm not fluent, there's a long path ahead of me for that one. But I've come such a long way! I remember my first days here where I understood practically nothing. I couldn't respond, nor understand. Now I feel like I can speak a good bit of Spanish without effort. And not understanding something is usually due to lack of vocab, not verb conjugations or accent. We'll give this one time to fully develop for sure... 
Spanish notes I took. Yes people I still do homework and study. But at least it's over the topic I understand the best. 

3. Make friends from all over the world. No doubt I've made so many Spanish friends, I've also made a lot of friends from the US and other countries which probably wouldn't have happened if I didn't come to Spain.

4. Got the chance to see one of my brother's friends who lives in Spain but was an exchange student to Austin a few years ago.
Hopefully you don't mind this Rodrigo.

5. Got to see three Spanish cities that have made me realize how big the world is, and how much more I have to see. 
Burgos, Castilla y Leon, Spain. Talked about this one before. Only there for maybe twenty minutes but hey I saw this so...

Pamplona, Navarra, Spain. Actually if I believe correctly I will be going back on December 9th to get my visa... which also happens to be my 16th birthday...I guess it'll make for a birthday I'd never forget! Besides I want to go back!


Madrid, Comunidad de Madrid, Spain. Write about this one too much, I know. 

Life Update
Well I've been making new friends at my new school so that's good. And exam week is starting. Pretty much everyday we have one. Tomorrow's I think is English so I think I should be okay with that one. Today I had a Physics test and while there were things I didn't understand at all, I was shocked I was able to do some of them with as much confidence as I did, well maybe I shouldn't say that until we get our grade backs. 
The past Friday I had one in Biology (yes everyone in 7th period Deere's last year, I'm taking it again.) And it was over a concept they really drilled into our heads in my school the year before that the kid's in Spain were just learning. So I really think I did well. I studied and reread my notes a heck of a lot of times and really think I aced it. 
Swimming. I finally started swimming here. I am right now swimming with a group of maybe 40 kids (estimating a group of people is so hard.) They do things much different than I'm used to in the USA. They sometimes swim with dummies (back to lifegurading this summer) and sometimes we do these drills where you have to stop in the middle of the pool go under a net/obstacle and then continue without touching neither the obstacle nor the ground. Also these kids are really fast. Maybe it's cause I haven't swam in 4 months or just because they're really fast. I'm thinking it's a mix. 
Also I really am learning I still dress like an American. At my old school I could dress like an American and blend in, but at my new one I stick out like a sore thumb. I have started getting more Spanish-Fashion-Forward clothes but to be honest it's so expensive and sometimes I lose my appetite to dress like a Spaniard when I look at the price tag on a new jacket from Pull and Bear/Jack and Jones/El Corte Ingles which are way overpriced. 

That's it for today, til next time when I'll probably be 16.

3 comments:

  1. Love your blog, enjoy your birthday.
    Love, grandma and Poppy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog! I loved our postcard. You are a very good writer! Keep it up 'cause you got many fans. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had just asked Chelsea if you were swimming and she told me about the weird obstacles!! Now that you are in a different location is there a swim club for you? Hope so!!

    ReplyDelete