Monday, November 25, 2013

Reflections/More

The title should maybe suggesting this will be a deeper post... well for me. Usually I like to post things to make people laugh, or brighten their day. I'm not going to do the opposite with this I promise. Don't tune out though, it's just going to be a more reflective post, because I feel it's necessary... at the end is just more of a mix of ideas and things.

  • It's now been 82 days since the day I left, going into this program having no idea what my future in Spain would hold. 
  • I came knowing how to conjugate maybe 3 forms of a verb... can now do double that. 
  • I'd never spend more than 15 days away for home until I came here... and for people that now me, leaving home for 10 months wouldn't be something you'd expect from me
  • The first time I left the country was to come here. Never have I ever (wait... we aren't playing that) been to Mexico nor Canada.
  • I never thought a city itself can be pretty before I came here. Yea Cedar Park is a true beaut. I mean no hate to anyone from good ol' CP cause I miss it a lot. 
  • Not understanding every word that people say is normal now. I've learned so much Spanish but the thought that I'd understand everything someone says already is pretty crazy to me. I usually can understand the general gist though without much effort.
  • Accepting things that are so wild and crazy to you as normal. Obviously I can't think things would be the same here, so when I see something that's different I observe it and say "okay, that is now normal." Of course it takes a few occurrences for it to not affect you anymore.
  • Not seeing my families face since saying goodbye in the airport. Yes, that's right. I haven't skyped with them, why? I have no idea. I talk to them on the phone and even while I'm typing this thinking we need to skype. So to my fam: Soon.
  • In two weeks from today I'll be celebrating my 16th birthday. What my plans are? not sure yet. I definitely want to make it something I'll never forget.
  • It's been over two months since I left Pamplona and feels like a lifetime. 
  • Over one year ago (year and a day) I started this blog. No doubt I've changed so much. Reading that post just makes me cringe a little. I don't know why. My writing was so awkward and I wasn't witty, kind of flat and boring. I apologize. 
  • The past 82 days have been so fast and crazy. Who knows how long it'll take for time to slow down, or maybe it won't ever. 
  • I've never been a Patriot for the USA til I came here. No I don't think one country is better than the next but I really have come to love my country more than I thought I did before I left.
Misc.:
Okay, I've tried lots of new food here. Maybe this shouldn't really count, since it's a pastryish thing. But it's like my new favorite thing. These Chocolate & Churros was bought in Plaza Mayor at one of Spain's oldest Churro places. Even seeing this is making me consider making a quick after school trip to grab some. Actually there is a churro vender right outside my metro stop on my way home from school... Idea planted. 

Egyptian Temple

Royal Palace

Monastery

Monastery... but close

Prado

Royal Palace... But further also La Almudena.

I've seen so much since I've been here. So many things I never thought I'd get to see. Who gets the chance to see Spain and how great it is at the age of 15. I feel so lucky to have this chance and am extremely thankful to anyone who has had the part in getting me here. I could never have done this without y'all!
Okay also this is from my going away party from a while ago & I want each and everyone in this picture know how incredibly jealous I am y'all have the week off.  Enjoy it. Miss y'all!



2 comments:

  1. Hi sweetie,
    Loved reading your reflections. Now going to read more of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahoy Trevi! I liked the introspective nature of this post. I have never been away from home for longer that 7.5 months. Toward the end of that time, I wrote such a post called "Things Are Different Here" in April, 2011, in ilenetheboat.blogspot.com. You might enjoy it. Keep writing and enjoying!

    ReplyDelete