Saturday, November 16, 2013

McDonald's & Englsh

Two things have happened that I think are pretty interesting and I want to share. Ill start with McDonald's cause I like it the best.
The other day me and two friends were in a McDonald's in the center of Madrid. Sitting right next to me (we were at a long bench where multiple parties share a seat) was another exchange student and to the other side a random 20 year old girl eating a cheeseburger by herself. Next to her was a drunk homeless man, should make for an interesting dinner, right? Right. The girl next to me quickly noticed the drunken man and made faces at us as he shouted words that I couldn't make out. This later takes a turn as he begins screaming in English, pretty well English actually. Then a McDonald's staff member tries to tell him to leave since he's not a paying customer and is disrupting the peace. He refuses and the McDonald's employee says he's going to call the police. Then he begins touching the girl next to us. Playing with her hair, tapping on her phone and asking for her name. She just kinda looked at us like I know y'all aren't speaking in Spanish but do you see what is happening. I asked her if she wanted to come sit with us (In Spanish, I'm not afraid to use it to random people anymore, yay) she said that it was fine. Then things take a turn for the wild. Another McDonald's employee begins yelling at the man about leaving the girl next to me alone and stop touching her cause the police are almost here. Now he shouts explicit things in English and puts his two middle fingers to the air and screams some more explicit English. Then about a minute later he stands up, grabs the hamburger from the girl next to me, takes a huge bite, and throws it back on the tray, then the girl next to me screams at him and smacks him. Then the second McDonald's employee runs over and yells at him some more. Now he's standing and does what must've been the most logical thing he could think of doing. Drop his pants to his bare butt, smack it and yelled... well we know what he yelled. Then the cops came and took him...we saw him in the cop car as we were leaving. Needless to say that I'll never go to McDonald's again without thinking about that one time when a drunk man smacked his butt and got arrested.
Now a more interesting topic for people that like thinking. Here I use Spanish to communicate with pretty much everyone. In school, at home, out and about. But today I was thinking about Spanish pronunciation versus English. And I figured English's is pretty messed up. Yes verbs are easier in English, for the most part (even kids in school will tell me that), but why are English spelling and pronunciation so hard? Why does adding an "e" to the end of the word effect how a letter in the beginning of the word sounds? For example the word "Rip" sounds like its spelt, but an "e" to the end and we get "Ripe" which makes a "rye-p" sound. "Hid" and "Hide", "Hop" and "Hope" or "Pop" and "Pope." I'm sure the list is pretty long. Also why is English spelling so weird? Night, Knight, Phone, Phantom, Though, Thought, Through, Tough. Like really why is it so random. By no means am I saying Spanish is an easy language... let me tell you.

***On a side note yesterday we said a "see-ya-later" to our friend Elly who is switching families to Valencia. We can't wait to hear the stories of how it's going for you! Hope you enjoyed the donuts.
Me, Elizabeth, Elly & Marissa at Atocha (Spain's "Grand Central Station") right before Elly boards her train to Valencia. As I'm reppin' South Texas Swimming.

This one's for you my family. I saw someone wearing an Encinitas jacket. Googled it, and it is from Encinitas, California... Thought it was a weird coincidence considering how close we used to live to it and how close my grandparents live to it now. Love and miss y'all. 

4 comments:

  1. This is hilarious and sounds like something that would happen on a Trevor-Lauren outing. Sadly, even if I had been there and seen the bare ass of the homeless man, I'm farely certain it wouldn't have kept me from eating my lunch! Miss you much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is too true, a Trevor and Lauren outing story for sure. And don't worry the girl next to us was almost done with her hamburger and they of course gave her a brand new one and that didn't stop her from finishing her food! Haha! Miss y'all much too!

      Delete
  2. Poppy and I laughed at your story, keep them coming. We love you.
    Grandma and Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad y'all enjoyed! I'll keep looking for the good crazy stories to tell! Love you guys too!

      Delete