Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Being Sick in a Foreign Country... Check

As the title suggests I'm sick, which is actually quite unfortunate/fortunate in a way. Well today's a Tuesday and I stayed home from school. Yesterday I went for half the day then went to the doctor (as weird as it sounds I kinda wanted to go to the doctor at least once while I was here...just to see what it was like) and she gave me two prescriptions for my sore throat and congestion.

This week in Spain a lot of schools are participating in what's called a "hulega" (strike in spanish). Basically there is some sort of bill being passed in Spain's government that's gonna change the school system in Spain (I think) and apparently the teachers and students don't like it (hey teachers and students can agree on things) so they said we are gonna go on strike and not go to school. So for some schools they're off Tuesday-Thursday this week others Wednesday-Thursday (my school, but since I'm sick today I get all three days) and others just Thursday. Have you got the point the big day is Thursday? Apparently on Thursday there is going to be a huge protest in the center of Madrid with everyone who wants to protest. So the fortunate part, if I'm still sick tomorrow I won't have to worry about too much make-up work. The unfortunate part, if I'm still sick tomorrow I can't do anything when everyone has of school. Fingers crossed (someone pointed out I say this a lot... If you know me, it's true) that tomorrow I wake up and feel fine!

But more has happened than just being sick of course! This past weekend AFS-Madrid had our second orientation... this one in El Escorial. Basically at these orientations we gather in a hostel (to the Americans I know there's an "s" in there, google it) do some activities about what we are going through, talk about feelings, and hang out. I enjoy them. Here are some miscellaneous pictures of this weekend:
El Escorial coooool building.


^AFS-Madrid minus some people x2

funny sign because humor is the same everywhere.

Well this is actually a pretty short post I think, but I think it's effective. Have a good week y'all.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you are feeling better. Love your posts and love and miss you.
    Grandma and Poppy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi I'm feeling much better! Love and miss you guys too!!

      Delete