Tuesday, October 8, 2013

10 Things Spaniards Will Want to Know

Some of the funniest/most memorable times I've had here are when people ask you questions about your life in the United States. So here's a list of Q&A's to expect when you come to Spain as a foreign exchange student.
  1. "Do you watch Jersey Shore?" Hands down this is the most asked question. Which I find hilarious. The truth is a lot of people watched Jersey Shore and they got there 15 minutes of fame... for a long time. Spaniards seem to love this show, I'm pretty sure there's an equivalent show here that takes place in Valencia. I can't recall the name though. 
  2. "Have you visited New York City? I want to go so bad!" This is a very close second. They love the fact I've visited NYC before, I'm pretty sure 90% of people I say this too die inside of jealousy. I mean I think that's like Americans with European cities, we want to go so bad we don't even realize that people there want so badly to come to the US.
  3. "Where are you from?" Okay this is the most asked question, I lied, but this one doesn't really count. Austin, Texas. People here know Austin... which surprises me. But it makes me happy when people know and get excited that I'm actually from a city they know. Then I say I lived in San Diego, California. This one kills 'em. "WHAAAAT?!?!?" they exclaim. I explain I go back pretty much every summer (summer vacation = extremely common here) "I'M COMING WITH YOU NEXT SUMMER." is their usual response. So apparently a 100 people are coming with me next summer, surprise Grandma.
  4. "Do you miss your family?" Wow people care! Yes of course I do. I mean they are my family. 
  5. "Is English class easy for you?" Well I would hope so! Kidding it's legit question I suppose. And it isn't as easy as the average English speaker would think. For example today in class we read about some famous garden gnome (yes a garden gnome) that has visited like 50 countries. You had to read an article about him and say which word fit best when there was a blank. The sentence was "Harry the garden gnome _____ in Mary's yard." Easy right? Wrong. The two choices were a) is standing or b) stands. Well they both sound right... maybe it's a trick question and everyone in the class will get it right and we'll move on? Think again. The answer was "a) is standing" I asked why you couldn't say "stands". Improper grammar. Who knew?
  6. "Do you like Spain?" This one may be the funniest. Of course I say yes! Because one- this country is really pretty and I like it, and two how rude would it be if I said no? I even get a little offended when people diss on american food in front of me. Like excuse me, I love me some Boxed Hamburger helper. Taste of America (an American food store here in Madrid) DIDN'T carry it, I almost cried. But I did get Resses and Root Beer. Wait for a post about my trip to Madrid, coming soon!
  7. "Why Spain?!" This shocks me when it comes from a Spaniard! I tell them I really wanted to see Europe and brush up on my Spanish. "Why Spanish?..." Spaniards don't understand that there language is really helpful to know in the US, especially in Texas! A lot of them also don't understand why anyone in their right mind would leave the US for a year. I mean I love the United States don't get me wrong, but seeing other parts of the world has been a great experience!
  8. "Do you smoke?" Nope, but SMOKING IN SCHOOL= NORMAL/CASUAL/SOCIALLY ACCEPTABLE. Yea this shocked me my first day too. Recreo (break time) is like a huge smoke break in which you can leave campus cause smoking on campus is illegal, step outside the gates and it's still illegal but hey who's going to say anything. One day a girl no older than 13 was smoking and the cop car that watches my school before it starts was sitting right there, windows rolled down, cops inside, and the girl literally blew the smoke right into the cop car and all the cops turned there heads and I was like "ohhhhhhhh busted" and then they waved and were like "buen dia Maria!" and she smiled and waved back. I was baffled the rest of the day. Spains "smoking age" = 18.
  9. "Are American High Schools like the movies?" Yea we have football teams, cheerleaders, pep rallys, homecoming, prom, lockers (that's there favorite one really) and almost every wild American High School stereotype. Except I'm sorry to ruin your imagination Spaniards but we do not all break out into song right before Summer Vacation like High School Musical depicts.
  10. "Do you speak Spanish?" I'll leave y'all with a question I answer pretty much only to teachers, cause the kids will start saying some really long sentence about something I can only understand half of (I understand a lot more spanish now, yay, hopefully the whole speaking part comes next) before realizing he speaks only english really. I usually just say "poco" or "estoy aprendiendo castellano" Castellano= What most (50%?) of Spaniards call what we in the US would call "Spanish or Espanol"

Well I hope you had a good laugh or two. Check back soon! If anyone has any questions feel free to email me or leave them in the comments!

3 comments:

  1. I cried laughing at your posts!!!! Glad you are having a wonderful time! A chance of a lifetime. So proud of you Trevy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post! I love your observations. If you are interested, my blog is at Ilenetheboat.blogspot.com. Love, Roger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks y'all! And I'll definitely check out your blog Uncle Roger!

    ReplyDelete