Tuesday, October 15, 2013

3 Stories... My titles are riveting eh?

I try to post about once a week, so it's be a week and here I am. As the title suggests I have three things to share this week!

  1. Madrid- It's bolded and underlined because I don't know how to describe how amazing it is! Anyways the past two Saturdays I've gotten to go into the city via bus. It takes about 50ish minutes from my neighborhood to Madrid and about 5 euros but it is so worth it. Usually I take it to a station in Northern Madrid then use the Metro to meet up in Gran Via with my friends. Now if you've never been on a Metro before, (Americans we know this as a subway, British people know it as the tube(?)) or maybe the ones in NY and London are less crazy, but you will see some of the most interesting people ever on the Metro. From people performing live music for tips to people begging you for money (this is always really sad cause I want to give them money) or, my favorite, the occasional group that is speaking English and you just can't help but eavesdrop on their conversation... The other day on the Metro I decided I'd take a picture really discreetly. I wanted to show my friends and family back home what it looked like. So I'm on the Metro and its pretty empty, now was my perfect time! I get my phone out position it so no one will even notice and click the button *FLASH* *CHICK* the flash and volume go off. Everyone around me looked at me... thankfully I was getting off at the next station. But nevertheless here's the picture.
    And a picture of a typical metro station here. Sorry its a bit blurry.
    Anyways I've enjoyed getting to see Madrid a lot. It's such a cool city! Here are some random pics from the city.
    Plaza de Castilla.... My bus station is right between those two buildings

    Europe is cool

    Me in Retiro Park

    Near Gran Via


    2. Look at this picture.
    Just a big group of proud Spaniards you think? Nope nope nope nope nope. I'm 99% sure that the Princess of Spain is in that car. And the Prince is right next to her. And I took this photo and saw her with my own eyes. 
    So the day I took this photo October 12th, which happened to be a huge festival and fiesta in Spain, I was going into Madrid to meet up with another AFS kid for lunch. We met in the normal Metro station, Gran Via. So we walked out of the station and the road is almost deserted. Only a few cop cars blocking of the street. Stores were closed, Streets were empty, Gran Via was practically empty. (Which if you've seen Gran Via you know seeing it empty is like seeing a ghost, doesn't happen)
    What that area normally looks like. I took this during my first excursion to the city.

     So me and my friend were so confused, what was going on. Then we walk towards where we see a HUGE crowd. Thousands and thousands of people were there tons carrying the Spain flag or some sort of red and yellow outfit. We quickly joined the crowd to see what all the hoopla was about. Turns out it was a National Festival, thanks to the Australian and Irish tourists who were standing next to us and heard us speaking English and struck up a conversation. Anyways to make us feel Spanish we of course had to buy a Spain flag from one the vendors walk around selling them. So we waited about 30 minutes before the parade actually began, the parade probably went on for about an hour which is pretty long for a parade I'd say. Then it ended and the Police on horses (Pictures below) started screaming something in Spanish (of course, I expect them to speak in Spanish) but I was able to understand! They wanted us to move because the parade was about to end and we were standing at the exit and cars in the parade were going to exit this way. So everyone is trying to run to get a good view, this was confusing because I thought the Policeman just said it was over. Then out of no where a black car came and everyone starting screaming and waving and all I saw was a girl and a man sitting in a car waving back. At first I had no idea who it was, and still may not 100% but with my investigation skills I found a picture of the Princess of Spain and they look dashingly similar to the one I took... So I'm going to say that was the Prince and Princess of Spain in the car, cool right?
    Okay those may or may no be police horses but they look like police horses to me.

    3. School/English- Okay this is not meant to be mean in anyway, I actually really like my Lengua teacher, this is just funny, she laughs about it too. So in Lengua class (In the US we call this English, so this is like their proper Spanish writing class) my teacher will stop every once in awhile and ask if I'm following. Sometimes it's a yes and I can understand what she's teaching, other times I'm really lost and tell her I don't know what's going on. One time she asked the class if any of us had ever seen this movie. I had never heard of it. Here's our dialogue (when i'm confused she tries to explain it in English):
    Today's lesson was Flashbacks in literature (They use the English word... if you were curious)
    Teacher: Trevor have you ever seen the movie "Danic"
    Me: Danic?
    T: Yes...
    M: I don't think so...
    T: It's very famous. It starts with an old lady on a sheep. And there is water all around it and on a screen there is another sheep, under the water... You know it?
    M: No...
    T: And then Flashback she is entering it and then Jack is betting for a ticket-
    M: Wait? The Titanic?...
    T:...
    M:...
    T: That's is what I said
    M: I thought you said Danic. 
    Me, my teacher(who I think found it the funniest), and some of the kids in my class who understand/speak English started dying laughing. I misheard Titanic as Danic, and ship as sheep.

    Well I'll leave it at that, til the next week y'all. Speaking of y'all here in English class they teach that you just use "you are" instead of "y'all are; you guys are; or yous guys' are (as GinaMarie from Big Brother would say it... yes I made a BB reference)" I think that's British English which is what they teach here.

    Hasta Luego

    UPDATE- I found the horse picture I was looking for



3 comments:

  1. I love hearing your stories and seeing your pictures. What a great way to document everything! I still find it hard to believe that you are actually there! What an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poppy and I laughed so hard at your Titanic story.
    Keep it coming love you

    ReplyDelete